Monday, February 21, 2011

Reality check...

Just a side note...


I have recently come to the conclusion that parents (especially those intending to home school) should be taking courses in college...


but not for the reasons you may be thinking...


I don't care if you have a no degree or a PhD, there is nothing as humbling as taking college courses while your child is also in the active learning phase of his or her life. It is--to say the least--a reality check....


Talk about valuable insight and perspective... 


For example:
Some courses are presented as if you are incapable of logical thought patterns. You are not permitted to skip steps, or form conclusions without having gone through all of the provided material. You are not permitted to get anything wrong (you know, experiment with inferences and deductions) because you are expected to simply ingest & regurgitate (assimilation is not an expectation). 


Other courses are just plain boring...or maybe the core subject matter would be interesting if the presentation was more applicable to something meaningful to you. 


My current inspiration is statistics...I do not hate statistics...as a matter of fact, I love research and am therefore fascinated by the concept of truly deciphering the studies I've come across...but this class is driving me nutty...really!


I totally "get" the calculations, but the theoretical situations presented are so mind-numbingly NOT what I care about, that I just keep ending up on facebook (or now, on blogger!!) 


ughhhh......


Good news is, I can now completely empathize with my son...and that's a good thing.  Last semester, when he had the bizzarro calc II instructor whose presentations sent him home with his eyes spinning in opposite directions, I just didn't get it...


Now, I get it....


(I'm sorry AJ!)


So, yeah... sign up for a class...or two...a hefty dose of reality can be a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment